Tetonia

Julie Morgenstern
The Second Comforter:: Conversing with the Lord Through the Veil
Denver C. Snuffer Jr.

Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self

Something More: Excavating Your Authentic Self - Sarah Ban Breathnach Essays of a woman discarded in later life by her husband. Sarah circles the drain of self-loathing and decides she needs Something More, in the form of Perfection, which can only be found in the perfect love of the perfect man. Until then she will become her Authentic Self, and ladles out substantial amounts of advice that proudly make her "the most self-centered woman in the world." (See page 325)

I read this book many years after "Simple Abundance", hoping to find additional vignettes for looking at life through delicate rose-colored glasses. Sadly, "Something More" advises me to demand more from my relationships, and if they don't shape up then I should pack up and ship out, because I deserve Something More.

Sarah does not seem to understand that gentleness of Spirit comes when we are malleable, open, and willing to see our portion of the blame in the demise of an important relationship. Reinventing the self does not correct the deficiencies we bring to the table, it only dresses them in different clothing.

The book gives some lovely quotes, and reminds the reader that being true to yourself is essential to happiness. But that truth does not come with searching for Something More. It is there all along, waiting for you to uncover it by discarding the layers of UN-truth that hide who we are meant to be.

Three stars for snippets of thoughtful prose that kept me going, albeit over several weeks, to the end of the book.